- Tuesday, 7/16/19 Luke
6:42, Either how canst thou say to thy
brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou
thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast
out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to
pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye. A reminder that you have
FAR bigger issues to deal with than nitpicking your loved ones.
“I can’t win souls! That’s not ‘my thing.’” More similarities between fishing and soul winning. (Day 5) 9. You can read “How to” books and study fishing videos and so forth, but true learning is really only achieved by doing it, and failing, and trying and learning. You can read “How to” books and study soul winning presentation videos and study how to deal with special cases, but true learning is really only achieved by doing, and failing, and trying and learning. 10. The best way to learn to fish is to go with someone who is already a good fisherman. The best way to learn to win souls is to go with an experienced soul winner. 11. The teacher can only teach so much: eventually, the novice has to go put his hook in the water and begin to develop and hone his skills. The veteran soul winner can only teach so much. Eventually, the novice soul winner has to open his mouth and talk to people...offer his hook and the bait himself.
- Wednesday, 7/17/19 Psalm 147:6, The Lord lifteth up the meek: he casteth the wicked down to the ground. It seems that God says a lack of meekness is wickedness. Meekness is a willingness to adjust to another’s agenda; a willingness to be led. An unwillingness to be governed, a non-follow-ability is sinful. “I don’t have time to win souls.” “As my Father hath sent me, so send I you.” Similarities between fishing for men and fishing for fish. (Day 6) 12. Even if the catching is poor, the activity is relaxing and the company enjoyable. Even if the results are poor, the activity of soul winning is relaxing and the fellowship is enjoyable. 13. The fisherman can’t force the fish to bite: he can only offer the bait. The soul winner can’t force a salvation, but can only present Christ’s offer. 14. However, there are ways to dangle the bait or entice, “trick,” the fish into biting, i.e. increased skill produces better results. However, there are ways to dangle the bait or entice, “trick,” the sinner into getting saved, i.e. skill/increased tact/friendly demeanor/better tone produces better results.
- Thursday, 7/18/19 Whoever said that God doesn’t play favorites doesn’t know their Bible. God DOES have favorites. Proverbs 12:2, A good man obtaineth favour of the Lord: but a man of wicked devices will he condemn. So, qualify to be His favorite and reap the benefits. “There are other, better people to give out the Gospel.” And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go YE therefore... More similarities between fishing and soul winning (Day 7) 15. Once a fish is hooked, it is not left where he was found. His environment is changed. Once a sinner is saved, get him into SS and church. Change his environment. 16. Even a veteran fisherman can always get better, learn a new trick. Even a veteran soul winner can learn a new illustration or a “trick” to get around an objection. 17. The best fishermen don’t get every fish. The best soul winners don’t get every sinner saved. 18. The best can have bad outings. The best soul winners can go through dry spells.
- Friday, 7/19/19 Proverbs 15:5, A fool despiseth his father's instruction: but he that regardeth reproof is prudent. A test of godly character is the ability to accept instruction/correction even if it comes from a disagreeable source or in a distasteful manner. How do you do listening to the “stupid boss”? (See V12.) Day 8: More similarities between fishing and soul winning... “I only have so much time off of work: I don’t have time to win souls...” Ecclesiastes 3:1, To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven. Your problem is not a lack of time: it’s a lack of purpose. 19. You can fish at all hours of the day and in any lake, pond, or stream. (Some laws apply.) You can win souls at all hours of the day. (Though door knocking at 2 a.m. is frowned upon. And private property [apartment complexes, gated communities] may be off limits.) 20. Some areas are more productive for fishing. Some areas are more productive for soul winning. 21. Great fishermen go to all areas. Great soul winners to all neighborhoods. 22. At any skill level, the bait is basically the same (food). At any skill level the bait is the same: Jesus, Heaven, Hell, forgiveness.
- Saturday, 7/20/19 Proverbs 15:13a, A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance. Tis been said, “The eyes are the window to the soul.” Maybe the saying should’ve been, “The face shows the heart.” Overall...we must judge ourselves. Are you smiling, humming, whistling at work and home? Have you been asked: “What’s wrong” very much?? “Smile! It increases your face value.” “Fake it til you make it.” Day 9: More similarities between fishing and soul winning... “Oh come on! Get off of it! It’s not that big of a deal!!!” It will be to them...Revelation 20:15, And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. 23. Though it is fun, fishing does involve work (going, cleaning fish, taking care of equipment, etc.) Though it is fun, soul winning is work: (going, picking up converts, discipling, teaching, etc.) 24. A single fishermen can be a blessing to many people. His catch can feed an entire family or village. A single soul winner can be a blessing to many people. His converts can bless the whole church. 25. Exact methods vary, but the philosophy doesn’t: go, offer the bait, hook them, reel them in, and eat. The exact conversation and verses used may vary, but the philosophy doesn’t: all have sinned, there’s a penalty, a payment was made, we must trust Christ, then enlist them for God’s service.
- Sunday, 7/21/19 Proverbs 15:24, The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath. An airplane can take off in a horrible storm, but climbs above the storm and flies in calm air and bright sunshine. One of Bro. Hyles main philosophies was to “live above the clouds.” Are you still saved? ‘Nuff said. Still an American? Did you eat and shower today? Fly higher. Day 10: More similarities between fishing and soul winning... “Oh come on! Get off of it! It’s not that big of a deal!!!” It will be to you one day... 2 Corinthians 5:10, For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 26. Rewards and recognition are given to the best fishermen. Rewards and recognition will be given to the best soul winners. Daniel 12:3. 27. There are always more fish to catch. There are always more sinners to win. 28. Fish can be caught individually on a single hook or in a net. Sinners can be won individually, one on one, or in a large service. 29. Sometimes, fish get hooked but aren’t reeled in or the line breaks: they get away. Sometimes, sinners are under conviction, but never get saved (interruptions, call back info is lost, etc.)
- Monday, 7/22/19 Psalm 47:2, For the Lord most high is terrible; he is a great King over all the earth. The result is absolutely sure, but the timing is not. God’s timing and our desired timing usually don’t coincide. If He’s King...it’s cared for. If we’re His kid, it’s gonna be all right. Day 11: The last 3 of my “Similarities between fishing for men and fishing for souls.” 30. Besides humans, other creatures are seeking the same fish that we are. There are a multitude of competitors for our “fish,” the souls/lives/usefulness/energy of men. 31. What works on one day will produce no fish in the same spot on a different day. What works on one day will produce no salvations in the same spot on a different day. 32. Occasionally, a novice will succeed when the experienced one fails. (A child winning the Fishing Derby; the clumsy wife landing the big one...) Occasionally, the new convert will be able to win someone that the Pastor couldn’t win.
Contact me at email@example.com for information on subscribing to the weekly email or daily text messages from Terry.