Sunday, 11/17/13 Ps 26:4-5 I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked.
On some level, I think it should grate us to be around the unsaved: it shouldn’t be our preference. Ps 69:5-6 O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee. Let not them that wait on thee, O Lord God of hosts, be ashamed for my sake: let not those that seek thee be confounded for my sake, O God of Israel. I often pray this prayer that my sins won’t stop God from helping others through me.
Monday, 11/18/13 Pro 15:1 A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words (angry) words stir up anger. Does your boss/spouse/parent/teacher/co-worker have a hot temper? Learn this verse. The first half is what we should do. The 2nd half tell of the consequences of violating the 1st half. Matt 27:5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. How sad for someone to be without hope needlessly. Dear friend, God loves you and has provided the means for you to get new hope: that means are found in His Word, in prayer, in church, and with His people. Just come with a humble, open spirit.
Tuesday, 11/19/13 Isn’t it wonderful when something “delights” you? Just zings your day? What delights God? What makes His day? See Prov 11:1, 12:22, 15:8 & Jer 9:24 to find out. Ps 31:1 In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness. 1Faith in God is a daily proposition, not a “once for all” deal. 2It’s unreasonable to expect to “never be ashamed.” You and I will blow it: expect it, but don’t self destruct because you showed once again that you’re flesh.
Wednesday, 11/20/13 Ps 32:10 Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the Lord, mercy shall compass him about. When God sees that we’re trying He cushions us, surrounds us, with mercy. The wicked choose to go outside of His merciful sanctuary. Ex 9:1 Then the Lord said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh, and tell him, Thus saith the Lord God of the Hebrews, Let my people go, that they may serve me. Pharaoh refused to obey, and God kept giving him the same commandment. God will not give in to our rebellion and move to a different topic. What is your “sticking point” with God? Worldly music? Tithing? Modest dress? Bible reading? Soul winning? Submission to authorities? Forgiveness of the 1 person? And the word of the Lord came unto Jonah the second time...
Thursday, 11/21/13 Ps 73:2-3 But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped. For I was envious... Envying another’s situation...remember that almost always when we compare ourselves to another, we will invariably compare our weaknesses/worst to their strengths/best. Those you envy are, most likely either envying you, or hiding a very big negative that you’d be very glad not to have. The purpose of God’s laws were never to allow us to merit an entrance into Heaven. Ex 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above al people: for all the earth is mine. Obedience to His laws were a means of pleasing God and to make His people more valuable in the service to others.
Friday, 11/22/13 John 11:35 Jesus wept. We can speculate as to why Christ wept, but He did. When was the last time that you wept holy tears? Whether of repentance, sharing the grief of another, or weeping over lost souls? Mark 5:19 Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and had compassion on thee. Have you told your friends at work or at school about what God’s done for you?
Saturday, 11/23/13 Isa 50:4 The Lord God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary... God teaches you things to help people. Use your knowledge. Send out your own Thought of the Day. It’ll make you pay better attention to your Bible reading. Start by sending it to your family & me. Trust me: it’s the best thing that I’ve done in years to boost up my spiritual life. Pro 21:1 The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will. Why might the ruler’s heart be turned against you? 1Because of your sin. 2To contrast, in your mind, God’s rule with oppressive rule. 3To teach or to train you somehow. Obstacle courses teach things that can’t be learned elsewhere. 4Because of the ruler’s sin, and God thinks you can take it. (He was going to sin, God just directed it at someone who could handle it. 5Because you haven’t prayed for the king’s heart to turn toward you.
Thoughts from some others:
- Matt 3:15 And Jesus answering him said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for this it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. Jesus told John that he would be hindering them BOTH from doing right. Even if you don’t feel worth, or you’re trying to ACT humble, allow people to do things for you. Otherwise, you’re keeping BOTH of you from doing rightly and receiving God’s blessings.
- Mark 8:18 Having eyes, see ye not? And having ears, hear ye not? And do ye not remember? What use do we have of these things if we do not pay attention to God’s: 1goodness, 2Provision, 3Word.
- Ps 119:103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! Yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth. This is the one sweet addiction I desire and never want to lose. We can never to toxic from God’s eternal words.
- Gen 37:29 Reuben returned unto the pit, and behold, Joseph was not in the pit: and he rent his clothes. Too little, too late and little thought for Joseph. Are there things we need to do for others now and not wait 'til later?
- Gen 39:21 But the Lord was with Joseph, and showed him mercy, and gave him favor in the sight of the keeper of the prison. No matter where we are or why we are there, God can and will bless us if we give Him a chance.
- Ps 119:133 Order my steps in thy word and let not any iniquity have dominion over me. This ought to be the heart’s cry and consuming desire of every child of God.
- Pro 20:6 Most men will proclaim everyone his own goodness: but a faithful man who can find. Human nature is to brag and toot our own horns. It’s better to get it done and not talk about it or tell what you are going to do.
- John 11:33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping...he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled. Brokenhearted grief troubles God and draws Him near.
- John 1:12 ...power to become the sons of God... Greater than the power to create everything from nothing is the power to make sinners holy.
- Ps 120:1 In my distress I cried unto the Lord, and he heard me. Aren’t we glad to have a hearing God to whom we can turn to in times of distress and need?
- 1 John 3:17 But whoso hath this world’s goods.... America’s economic problems have Gospel solutions. Envy and covetousness are sins of the poor; greed and pride are sins of the rich.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on subscribing to the weekly email or daily text messages from Terry.