- Tuesday, 6/15/21 Hebrews 12:1b, ...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us... If we’ve a sin that easily besets us, we’d be smart to be as diligent as the sin... Bluntly, for only
you to consider: what’s your weak spot? What’s the sin you struggle with? How can you protect yourself from it? (Or, is it more of a dear friend than a deadly enemy?)(Sorry, I have to meddle at least once a year...) Proverbs 11:16, A gracious woman retaineth honour: and strong men retain riches. Paraphrase, “By being gracious (doing for another what they cannot do for themselves), a woman keeps her honor, or glory, and the same for a strong man, he keeps his valuables.” Ma’am, are you gracious? Do you give in, apologize first, assume responsibility, try more than your share? Fellas, we probably should do the same. Assume the other party is doing all they can, and we must do a little more...
- Wednesday, 6/16/21 Proverbs 11:13, A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter. Very simply, how good are you at keeping secrets? Or is it a case of, “Oh, I’m good at it, it’s just the people that I tell them to can’t keep it secret...” Study the elements of answered Bible prayers. Matthew 8:8, The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed. This man did 2 things here: he besought, or begged, and he knew that He didn’t deserve Jesus’ interest. Oftentimes, I think we give lip service to this thought, but the fact that we get mad at the Lord for not coming through shows that we really thought that we DID deserve His time and attention.
- Thursday, 6/17/21 Has God convicted you about something recently? As unpleasant as it was, as always, look at things scripturally. It shows how valuable you are and how you are loved. Hebrews 12:6, For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. Psalm 27:13, I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. If we have no hope, truly we are hopeless. We must get our noses in the Book and thereby let It produce some faith, and start disciplining our thinking to look on the positive. And, do what does the next verse says: WAIT ON THE LORD!! We must get our eyes off of ourselves. You are the problem: you love YOU too much.
- Friday, 6/18/21 God corrects ALL His kids. It’s not pleasant to be told we’re wrong, but our reaction to His chiding is vital. Hebrews 12:7a, If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons. He’ll treat us better if we suck it up and take it; deal with the issue He raises. Do you love the Lord? Psalm 29:2a, Give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name. He deserves glory. But that is somewhat of an obscure term/concept. How do we obey this command? Ps 29:2b, Worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness. We are to be holy...not good enough, not better than most...we are to be HOLY. Do you want that? Are you willing to forsake things you like cuz He doesn’t like them? Are you willing to change what you’ve done, said, listened to, gone, worn, thought...just to please Him? Most believers, sadly, are not. To most, Christianity is a one day a week deal...not a lifestyle. Many Christians have a stagnant religion and not a dynamic relationship. I want to be one of the few...and I usually fail, but I want to be.
- Saturday, 6/19/21 Matthew 8:12, But the CHILDREN OF THE KINGDOM shall be cast out into outer darkness... These people forfeited their birthright. Just a reminder that there is NOTHING that we have now that cannot be taken away. Are you appreciative of, and are you working on your marriage? Your job? Your walk with God? Your spiritual offices? No sin is worth the consequences. We all, at times, do things with an ulterior motive. So does God. Psalm 105:44-45, And gave them the lands of the heathen: and they inherited the labour of the people; that they might observe his statutes, and keep his laws. Praise ye the Lord. God IS good, but sometimes His expressions of goodness are a carrot. He wants us to do things His way. Are you enjoying His benefits without giving Him any benefit? Or, could you “pay Him back” a little more diligently? Ask Him what He’d have you add or subtract or alter in your life.
- Sunday, 6/20/21 This may be the best synopsis of the Christian life that I’ve seen: Psalm 105:1, O give thanks unto the Lord; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people. Memorize it...try it. (Happy Father’s Day fellas.) We’ve all heard, and said, the expression, “He made his bed, and now he has to lie in it.” The axiom speaks of enduring the consequences of our actions and choices: we WILL be the primary recipients of those results. Proverbs 14:10, The heart knoweth his own bitterness; and a stranger doth not intermeddle with his joy. If we allow our hearts to be bitter, that poison will affect us. Truly, we WILL know the pain of that acid. And, likewise, our joy, no one else can really share in it either. So, since you and I are the primary beneficiaries, or victims, of our heart’s attitude and demeanor: if you don’t like what is...change it. It’s all on us individually.
- Monday, 6/21/21 Proverbs 14:33, Wisdom resteth in the heart of him that hath understanding: but that which is in the midst of fools is made known. (This is for me...) Fools are quick to share their opinion; the wise are quiet until asked. Toward which end of the spectrum do you usually fall? 2 Peter 3:1, This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance. One of the pastor’s main jobs is simply to remind us of what we already know. So don’t tune him out or rebel about “another sermon” on tithing, forgiving, walking with God, soul winning, surrender... He’s going to remind us of “old stuff” far more than he’ll show us “new stuff” from the Bible.