-Tuesday, 9/7/21 Proverbs 2:4, If thou seekest [wisdom and knowledge] AS SILVER, and searchest for her AS FOR HID TREASURES. Here’s a sign for the vast majority of us that we have a LOT of room
for growth. Are you praying for these? “Searching” your Bible or just “getting in required reading”? Psalm 119:73, Thy hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn thy commandments. How do you learn best? Reading? Listening? Asking questions? Writing/copying? Figure you out and learn God’s will and word. Also, those whom you are privileged to influence: they all have different learning styles: incorporate a multitude of styles as you teach your SS class or preach.
- Wednesday, 9/8/21 Psalm 119:73a, Thy hands have made me and fashioned me. To some degree, we all are afflicted with self-image issues cuz none of us has the body or the life Hollywood portrays. You and I, physically, are as we are supposed to be and need to be. Now, we’re to forget our physical (other than weight & eating habits) and do what we’re supposed to do. John 10:10b, I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. How does one get everlasting life? By learning what He said about it and doing it. I wonder how we could get an abundant life? Psalm 119:93, I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me (made alive). Everything that God has ever done, He’s done through His Word. So, an abundant life is directly tied to a vibrant Bible life.
- Thursday, 9/9/21 Psalm 119:77, Let thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live. It’s not the excesses of sin that give us life and produce an abundant, exciting life: it’s the forgiveness for those excesses and dwelling on His awesomeness to forgive such foolishness that does that. Romans 13:1, Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Every person who is in a position of authority (from the home to the workplace to the White House) was put there by God. How are you doing at being subject to them? Honoring them? Praying for them? Learning what God is doing in your life because of their position?
- Friday, 9/10/21 Romans 13:4a, For he [rulers] is the minister of God to thee for good. It doesn’t say “good rulers” are from God for our good; it says all of them are. There are lessons that can only be learned via a bad ruler: patience, faithfulness, a deeper prayer life are a few. Matthew 12:38, Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. We do this very often too... We say, "Lord, just me that You're there." (I've said that; you have too.) The bottom line is that we’re asking (demanding) that He perform on our command. The Lord didn't like it then, and probably doesn't like it now. He said He was there; He'll answer prayer; He's aware of our situation...we just need to trust and get to work.
- Saturday, 9/11/21 Proverbs 6:27, Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burned? We all acknowledge the truth of this verse, and oft times disregard it. “I can handle it.” No, if you can see others have harvested heartache by planting the stupidity you’re considering, you’ll not be the exception. Please, STOP playing with sins’ matches. The house you burn down...may be the neighbors’ or the firemen’s. Romans 14:13, Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. Do you have a friend who is trying to eliminate something from their life and you do the same thing? Perhaps you don’t think it to be a sin, and it may not be, but your friend, for whatever reason, wants to stop it. Are you helping and encouraging them in their fight, or giving them reasons why they’re being silly, and it’s no big deal? (Maybe you are trying to mask conviction over them taking a step and realizing you should take the same step?) Regardless, if any one is wanting to change themselves, unless you KNOW that it is a sinful change, help them do it.
- Sunday, 9/12/21 Have you ever been (or are you now) at the end of your rope? That may be good. Psalm 119:145, I cried with my whole heart; hear me, O Lord: I will keep thy statutes. God may be allowing the affliction to refocus you and help you rededicate yourself to Him and His Word. ‘Course, we could refocus and rededicate today without the troubles...maybe because of love or common sense... Psalm 119:148, Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word. The word “prevent” means to anticipate or go before. David was saying he awoke early, before his night shift of watching the flock, to meditate on the Word of God. For decades, I’ve lived by the promise of “No Bible; no breakfast.” Maybe join me and make that promise for a month: that you won’t put a bit of food into your mouth until you’ve read at least 1 chapter in the Bible. Now, will you try it? And how could you remind yourself to do it?
- Monday, 9/13/21 Proverbs 7:21, With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him. Remember that believers are capable of every sin except the unpardonable one. 1) Therefore, in any area: we have a breaking point. 2) Know/admit your weak spots. 3) Treat your weak area like it was a chance to catch AIDS instead of a cold. 4) Overestimate sin’s allurement; underestimate your resistance. Daniel 2:5, The king answered and said to the Chaldeans, The thing is gone from me: if ye will not make known unto me the dream, with the interpretation thereof, ye shall be cut in pieces, and your houses shall be made a dunghill. By comparison, your boss isn’t nearly as big of a jerk. Maybe a lot less complaining (verbal or mental) and much more gratitude and submission would be appropriate?
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on subscribing to the weekly email or daily text messages from Terry.